Herb-Crusted Leg of Lamb with Creamy Beet Salad
Bright, herb-crusted meat goes so well with an earthy, creamy salad. Leg of lamb is an upscale meal that is impressive for company and simple to make. The most perfect leg of lamb can be done right from your own oven in just a few hours.
This Herb-Crusted Leg of Lamb is tender, juicy, and covered in a mustardy herb sauce that flavors the roast inside and out. It is served alongside a fabulous Creamy Beet Salad with shallots, celery, and a sweet and sour dressing that will make your mouth water. Serve this elevated meal for your in-laws or when your spouse’s boss comes for dinner.
- 1 4-6 pound trimmed bone-in leg of lamb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
For the Creamy Beet Salad:
- 8 large or 12 small golden or red beets
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 celery stalk, sliced thin on a bias
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons whole fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Steps to Make It:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a roasting pan by lining the bottom with foil and placing a roasting rack on top.
- Using a sharp knife, make shallow slits across the lamb evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, rosemary, parsley, oregano, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix until you have a chunky paste, then rub it all over the lamb, pushing the sauce into the scored cuts. Make sure you have a thick, even coating all over the lamb.
- Place the leg fat side up in the roaster and place it into a preheated oven. Roast for 1 hour and 30 minutes for medium, or longer until your desired doneness. Use a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the leg, away from the bone. The internal temperature should read 135 degrees F for medium.
- As the lamb roasts, make the Creamy Beet Salad. To a large pot of salted water, add your washed beets. Place over high heat and bring to a boil, cooking for 30-45 minutes depending on the size of your beets. Drain once tender and allow them to cool.
- Peel your beets using a paring knife once cool enough to handle. Quarter the beets into bite-sized pieces and add them to a bowl with the shallots and celery.
- In another small bowl, combine the sour cream, Kewpie mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest, honey, parsley, salt, and pepper. Pour over the beets and toss to coat. The salad will become a beautiful pink color. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once the lamb is to your desired tenderness, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest for 30 minutes before slicing and serving with the Creamy Beet Salad.