Grilled Marinated Lamb Kebabs
Kebabs are such a fun way to grill your meat. You can marinate the meat for hours so that it is super juicy and flavorful, and then the hot grill sears and seals in those juices. Lamb kebabs are the perfect main course for grilling, especially if you are grilling for company.
These Grilled Lamb Kebabs are marinated in a Greek yogurt marinade with flavors of lemon and oregano. The yogurt helps tenderize the meat as it sits, which leads to tender meat that has a wonderful fresh flavor. Once grilled, the lamb takes on the aroma from the lemon and herb marinade. The citrus flavor actually penetrates and gets inside the meat!
You can skewer the kebabs with any vegetables you like. For this recipe, sweet onions and red bell peppers were used to break up the meat on the skewer. The sweetness from the onion is beautifully layered between the tart marinated meat. The red bell pepper also brings a fresh sweetness that is delightful with the savory lamb. If you want, you could also use cherry tomatoes, zucchini, or summer squash for these skewers.
Make these kebabs for your next large outdoor gathering. They can sit in the fridge for a while in their marinade, and the cooking time is less than 20 minutes. Grilled Lamb Kebabs will keep you involved in the party while still providing an excellent, tasty meal for your friends and family.
- 16 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 domestic lamb kebabs
- 1 sweet onion, large dice
- 1 red pepper, large dice
Steps to Make It:
- In a large glass bowl, add the Greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine everything, making sure the olive oil is worked well into the mixture.
- Add the lamb pieces and submerge completely in the marinade. Toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to marinate for at least 8 hours.
- About 1 hour before grilling, soak some wooden skewers in water, completely submerged, for at least 1 hour. This prevents them from burning on the grill.
- After 8 hours, fire up your grill. If using gas, turn the heat to high. If using charcoal, heat the charcoal in your charcoal chimney until very hot, then add them to one side of the grill. Replace the grates.
- Remove your skewers from the water and thread one piece of marinated meat, then a piece of onion, then meat, then pepper, then meat. Continue with this pattern until all meat is skewered.
- Brush the kebabs with the remaining olive oil and place them on your hot grill. Cook 10-15 minutes, turning frequently, over the hot side of the grill. This timing is for medium-rare. Leave the lamb on for 4-5 minutes longer for well-done.
- Serve hot with a side arugula salad.